When a police car lights up its emergency lights behind you, it is important to pull over to the right side of the road as soon as it is safe to do so. Once you have done this, consider the following tips:
- If it is dark out, turn on your interior light.
- Keep your hands where they are readily visible to the officer. Resting them on your steering wheel is a good option. Avoid reaching under your seat or into your glove box unless you need to.
- Be prepared to show your license and registration. Keep your registration where you can always know where it is and retrieve it easily.
- Remain calm and be polite. Many officers deal with difficult people all day, and are frequently receptive to people who are willing to be civil and admit to making mistakes.
- Don’t attempt to bribe the officer.
- Should you feel that you have been unfairly treated, make your case to the traffic court.
In the event that your car troubles go beyond the legal, contact our auto body shop in Seattle for quick and reliable repairs.